Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Simple Baby Food Recipe


I want to start by saying I am by no means a pediatrician, a nutritionalist, or an expert. I just make observations and then, respond. You can read the nutritional needs of infants here at http://www.babycenter.com/baby-solid-feeding-basics
Please also read my baby food disclaimer page prior to using any of my recipes or ideas.  
Simple Carrot and Apple Oatmeal Baby Food

Both apples and carrots have numerous health benefits to eating them.
We should be eating them and babies should too!
Read about apple nutritional benefits here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267290.php
And read about carrot nutritional benefits  here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270191.php
Does anyone else love an overflow of information and interesting facts? I do, so I will include them in my posts. Read at your leisure. (With a baby, ha!)
I suggest this type of baby food for Six Month Olds. The combination of the carrots and apples make a sweet, yet extra healthy baby food that you don't mind taking a taste of! 

I start out with two organic apples, I buy them by the bag to help decrease cost. 

Cut the apple into small parts and remove both core and peel. 



Also slice into small pieces a full cup of organic carrots. 




I add them together, with about a cup of water unto a pot on the stove and cook both the apples and carrots thoroughly.  This usually takes me a half an hour. Stir frequently.
Add 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice and 2 Tablespoons of Pure Organic Olive Oil.


When the carrots and apple are cooked, I add 3/4 of a cup of natural quick oats. You may have to add some more water (breastmilk) to ensure that the baby food does not burn and is smooth. Stir until the oatmeal is cooked. Please note that since there is already oatmeal in the baby food there is no need to add any baby cereal to it. 


After the food is very well cooked and mushy, I blend thoroughly with my blender, ensuring there are no chunks. You may also use a food processor. Or the fancy baby food maker of your choice!


This makes about 3 cups of baby food. 


And as you can see.... My baby loves it! So tasty! 


 YUM!

Simple Apple Carrot Baby Food Recipe
2 medium apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
1 c. sliced carrots
3/4 c. quick oats
1-2 c. water (breastmilk) 
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. olive oil 

In medium saucepan, combine apples, carrots, lemon juice, olive oil, and 1cup water. Cook thoroughly, stirring frequently. When carrots are soft, add quick oats and 1 cup water, depending on consistency. When oats are cooked, blend or food process until smooth. Cool completely before feeding your child. Stays fresh for a week. May freeze, I recommend no longer than 3 months. 
Good luck and Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment