Saturday, June 20, 2015

Owl Always Love You



Owl Always Love You Hand Art 

I love handprint art. Love it. I think it's a thoughtful and creative way to capture the small size of your child's hands and feet. They are only small once and for such a short time. Why not keep little reminders of their tinyness around for always? 

Spellcheck does not agree with me that tinyness is a word. Well it is now! 

I decided to try my hand at an art project with my 13 month old. She is a wiggly little thing, running around the house, and I already marvel at how much she has grown in just the last month. I want to remember this time forever. I want to have little memories lying around the house so even when she is old and moved away, I will alway remember how fun and little and mischievous she was. Here are some simple instructions so that you too, can craft some simple treasures. 

I am not a very good artist. 
Whew! I admitted it. 
Least of all am I a painter. 
So I started with simple items. If you are a better artist than me, feel free to use better tools and ingredients. 

I started with a piece of pastel purple paper that I had on hand from a previous project. I don't recommend construction paper, but use whatever you want is my opinion. 
I had 5 colors of acrylic craft paint: brown, yellow, pink, white, and green. 
I used a small paintbrush I had already. 
I used a black sharpie and a silver sharpie. 
That's it. 
Here we go. 

I love owls. I think they're just so pretty, cute, and a symbol of wisdom. So well, I googled hand art owls. There are so many out there. Try it. I was overwhelmed. Again, I am not an artist. Crafty, but not an artist. I modified the many images I found and just tried. Worked out pretty well, so I shared the end result with you! 

I started using the brown to paint a branch. Well, more of a curve and a line, but I tried to make a branch. 


Then I added some little twigs to my branch. Small curves, but they'll do as twigs. 


Here comes the tricky part. Getting the handprint. Not easy with any child, let alone a 1 year old. 
I waited for the branch to dry thoroughly. 
Then I managed to actually get a semi decent handprint upside down on the branch. 
I used the pink paint. 
She moved her thumb a little, but I just considered it artistic liberty and moved on. 


Next came the eyes with the white paint. Two circles. Anyone can paint two circles.
Almost anyone. 
A little funny shaped, but let's move on. 


I placed a dot of yellow paint under the eyes for a beak and some small dots of yellow paint at the bottom of the hand for some little owl feet. 
Looks ok so far, wait for those to dry thoroughly as well. 


While waiting, I added some so called leaves to my twigs with the green paint. Really I just touched the brush to the page.
Also, once the paint was dry, I used the black Sharpie to "draw" some pupils on my owl's eyes. 


Then I used the silver Sharpie to write on my art project "Owl Always Love You."


I was so proud of myself! Turned out very cute and is hanging on my wall right now, always there to remind me how tiny my little girl's hands once were.


I placed my masterpiece in a simple white frame to keep it safe and sound!
This idea also makes a great gift, I made a second one that sits on my husband's desk at work, a Father's Day gift he will always cherish. 

Happy Crafting!




No comments:

Post a Comment