Sunday, July 12, 2015

Three Bean Salad Baby Food Recipe


Time required: minimal.
Difficulty level: easy.
Cost: low.
Excitement: palpable.

Let's do this.

As always, please please please read my disclaimer before making any of my baby recipes.

So this baby food recipe isn't really a salad, but there are 3 types of beans in it along with some broccoli, onion, and potato. 
I started feeding this to my child around 10 months of age. Here are some age food introduction guidelines: http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-age-guide-to-feeding-your-baby_1400680.bc


Beans are so good for us. They are an excellent source of protein. And if you are nervous about that one year old iron blood level test, this is the perfect recipe to boost your child's iron level and decrease your anxiety.
I get a can of green beans, a can of garbanzo beans, and a can of pinto beans. I prefer organic, but it is subject to availability. I also use 2 medium sized potatoes, half an onion, and a small head of broccoli.


Here's why we should be eating garbanzo beans: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutrients-benefits-chick-peas-garbanzo-beans-7490.html
Here's some reasons why we should eat green beans: https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/vegetable/green-beans.html
And here's why we should be eating pinto beans: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/pinto-beans-healthy-3779.html

I drain the water from the pinto beans, it has too much sodium for my liking.  Always get the lower sodium version of any canned product or watch the sodium level on the nutritional facts. As a general rule, if the canned product has more than 200mg of sodium in it I avoid it. I have no science to prove my theory, that is just my habit. Here's a link as to why babies should not have added salt in their diet:


I also add 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. The garlic powder adds just a little flavor that makes this dish much more palatable. 
Here's an interesting read on the health benefits of eating garlic:


I also chop up the broccoli, the onion, and the potatoes into small pieces. I leave the skins on the potatoes in order to add extra nutrients. Please note that there are carbs already in this baby food dish so there is no need to add rice cereal or any other carbohydrate.
Here's a link as to why the skins of potatoes are good for you: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-eating-potato-skins-4077.html.
And a link to health benefits of broccoli: http://www.livescience.com/45408-broccoli-nutrition.html
And information on the health benefits of onions: http://www.livescience.com/45293-onion-nutrition.html though I will add if you have a very gassy baby, I would forgo the onion.


I put all of the ingredients in a medium sized pot on medium heat on the stove.  I add the water from the garbanzo beans because it's packed with nutrients and the water from the green beans just for a little flavor. This is where you could also skip adding the water from the two bean cans and use breastmilk, or whole milk, which is what I highly recommend. It would be about 1 and 1/2 cups. If you are using breastmilk, please be careful with the lemon juice as it will cause your milk to separate. 

Put the top on, stir occasionally, and cook until the potato chunks are soft and mushy.


It will start to smell amazing. 
My goal with this recipe is one that does not take a lot of time, nor is difficult to follow. I have used fresh ingredients, and soaked beans, but this time my aim is ease, and helping the new mom get comfortable making some delicious food for her baby.


After fully cooked, it's time to blend! (or process, or whatever)
And TADA! 
You have some delicious (go ahead, try it!) baby food that is full of good vitamins, iron, and protein. Easy to cook, easy to eat!
Enjoy!


Three Bean Salad Baby Food Recipe
2 medium potatoes
1/2 onion
1 small head of broccoli
3 T. olive oil
2 T. lemon juice
1 t. garlic powder
1 can garbanzo beans (including water)
1 can green beans (including water)
1 can pinto beans (drained)*

Combine all ingredients in medium sized pot on stovetop on medium heat. Stir occasionally. When potatoes are fully cooked, blend or food process until smooth. Remains fresh in fridge for 7 days, may be frozen for 3 months.

*Instead of using the water from the two cans of beans I highly recommend using 1 1/2 cups of breastmilk if under 1 and whole milk if age is greater than 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment