Thursday, July 16, 2015

Tropical Treat Baby Food Recipe

This baby food recipe is the perfect mix to give your little one when they have a cold or are a little rundown. It is full of vitamin C and lots of nutrients to help them heal quicker.

Please always read my baby food disclaimer before making any of my delicious recipes.
http://justalittlehippie.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

I recommend this baby food for 6 months of age and older.
Here are some guidelines for age and introducing new foods:
 http://www.babycenter.com/baby-solid-feeding-basics


This recipe starts with 2 organic bananas, 2 organic mangos, 1 medium sized organic sweet potato, and 2 cups of 100% orange juice.
Of course I do recommend that you use breastmilk if your child is under 1 year, instead of the orange juice. Please be careful when using with lemon juice, as the acidity of the lemon will cause your breastmilk to separate. Maybe even skip it.


I feel no guilt about the orange juice as it adds some flavor and I always use 100%. No Sunny D for this mama's baby.
Naturally I just chop up the sweet potato, bananas, mangos, and put them in a medium sized pan on medium heat with the cup of orange juice. 
Here are the health benefits of sweet potatoes:
I didn't know they had so much Vitamin A in them! 


Here's some info on why we should eat mangos: 
And here's some reasons we should eat bananas: 

Stir occasionally. 
Let it cook until the sweet potato is soft and mushy, it usually takes me about 30-40 minutes.
Add 1 cup of natural quick oats to the mixture. 
You may have to add a splash of orange juice to keep keep it from getting too thick. I make mine thick and then add some mild when I heat it up on an individual bowl basis so that she still gets some milk in her food, but it doesn't spoil as quickly.


I also add 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil, 2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice, and 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon.
Here are a few reasons we should eat cinnamon:
Again, always refer to my disclaimer on some of the ingredients that I add.


After it's all cooked up, time to blend, or make silky smooth in whatever process that you deem fit.
Do you like my ninja? It's band new, a present from my hubby and works FABULOUS!
Of course always cool before feeding to your little one.
This recipe makes about 6 cups of baby food. Feel free to freeze some.


And there you have it! A delicious treat for you baby that due to the mangos and orange juice have so much Vitamin C, they surely will be back to their happy healthy selves in no time!

Don't forget to take a bite!
 It. Is. Delicious.

Of course, I must share a pic of my adorable little one giving me such a big grin while she eats her Tropical Treat Baby Food that her eyes are almost shut!
What a cutie.


Tropical Treat Baby Food
2 cups 100% orange juice*
1 cup quick oats
1 medium sweet potato
2 mangos
2 bananas
1 t. cinnamon
3 T. olive oil
2 T. lemon juice

Chop up sweet potato, mangos, and bananas. Combine with orange juice in medium pan on medium heat. Add cinnamon, lemon juice, and olive oil. Stir occasionally. When sweet potato is fully cooked, add 1 cup of quick oats. When oats are cooked, blend or food process until smooth. Allow to cool fully before feeding to baby. Stays fresh in fridge for 1 week, frozen for 3 months.

*I do recommend 2 cups of breastmilk for ages under 1 year instead of orange juice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment